Thursday, September 10, 2015

#tbt:My first Grand Slam,my first US Open

I first became a passionate tennis fan during the summer of 2012.I was playing tennis back then so  I was really interested to watch how pro players are playing. During the summer we established satellite TV and I was watching the big tournaments before the US Open(the WTA ones). When I saw the Us Open add I was really excited about it.Watching the tournaments I had fell in love with Aga's game and that is why she is still my top fav.As the days were passing I would become more and more thrilled and pumped to cheer for Aga.
Us open 2012,the first slam I watched
The first matches

When the US Open started I just sat in my couch and watched as many matches as I could.Fortunately,I was able to watch Aga's opener against Bratchikova. Aga played really well and won her opponent 6-1 6-1. Next,up on Ashe was Kim Clijsters. I didn't know her back then but I learnt a more about her in the process. She was playing Vicky Duval. When I heard how old was Vicky Duval I was stunned.How can a player that is only 6 years older than me(I was 11 then) play in the biggest tennis court in the world. Kim won easily,but Vicky showed good signs in her game.At the end Kim hugged her younger opponent and she asked from the crowd to cheer for her saying some really good things about her. When I saw this I was really sad that I was present only to the last matches of this sportsmanship legend.

The farewell of a legend
Kim Clijsters waving to her fans after the final match of her career

The next match I saw was for me one of the best matches of the tournament.It was the first tennis match that put me in the edge of my seat and made me love this sport even more.Kim Clijsters would meet Laura Robson in the 2nd round with the Brit trying to be the one to end Kim's career. I started watching this match hoping for Kim to get through it easily.However Laura was playing a great match and the 2 players were going hand to hand in the score.The first set went to a tie-break in which Laura shined and won eventually the first set. After that I was even more worried.In the 2nd set neither player was letting back and it went as well in the tie-break. It was a really intense set where the set points of Kim and the match points of Laura fell the one after the other due to a great display of tennis between the youngster and the legend.The tie-break was a nail-bitter.I was watching Kim being points away from the end of her career to the hand of the young Brit.In the end an error by Kim ended her illustrious career,as Laura Robson won 7-6 7-6. Laura was really happy after that win and of course sad that this was Kim's last match.Kim praised her opponent as she was always doing and in the end she gave a speech thanking all her fans for their support. Kim's career officially ended after she lost in the Mixed Doubles event too. Even if I watched her in only two matches,her great sportsmanship and athleticism stole my heart and I was really sad I wouldn't watch her playing again.

In the process...
Sara Errani,one of the big winners of the 4rth round

The tournament went on well with the seeds advancing to the 4rth round.The only seed to fall was my fav's nemesis during the US hard courts,Li Na,who lost to Robson who had taken out Kim Clijsters before! Aga won her matches against JJ and CSN,however losing sets to her tricky opponents.Serena and Vika were cruising while Masha wasn't at her bests.Masha lost set to Petrova and in my view she would have lost if rain hadn't come to suspend the play when Petrova took the 2nd. The next match I saw was Aga's.It was the first match of Aga I was able to see since the first round. She was taking on to Roberta Vinci(who is currently semifinalist of this years US Open).Roberta's slices were working perfectly well and in a match between two very intelligent players,Vinci was the most effective outlasting Aga 6-1 6-1.It was a real surprise for me as I was feeling really sure for Aga. Next,I saw Sam Stosur ending Robson's fairytale run in probably the best tournament of her career. Vika and Serena were great as well with the latter double bageling Andrea Hlavackova. Also,Ana Ivanovic won setting a clash with Serena. Marion Bartoli edged Kvitova in a crazy scoreline 6-0 1-6 6-4 ,if I remember well.Sara Errani was the last player to advance beating Angie Kerber in a great 3-setter.

Sam-Vika, the reason why I loved tennis so much


As the QF took place,I watched Errani,Serena and Masha winning, securing their place in the semis of the Grand Slam event.Masha took advantage of another rain break after she was down 0-4 to Bartoli in the first set to win this in 3. Sara won her best buddy and doubles partner Roberta Vinci in a match I was dying to watch but I didn't. Also,Serena cruised against Ivanovic. The next match saw the world no1 taking on the defending champion. I missed he first set which was won by Vika 6-3.Sam's power prevailed in the second winning it 6-1.The 3rd set saw both of the players at their bests and taking this battle to the tie-break.Sam was really unlucky there with the net cord playing rough games to her so Vika jumped at the chance wining it and proceeding to the semis. I felt really sorry for Sam but for me Vika was the one who should pass to outlast Masha,who had gotten into my nerves after all those wins accomplished due to the rain breaks.This match was my favourite of the US Open and made me love tennis even more.I wasn't able to watch another match in this years US Open,but I learnt that Vika vs Serena was eventually the final with the latter prevailing after a huge comeback in the 3rd set(you can say it was a big choke by Vika)
P.S.:Most of the images are from Getty

No comments:

Post a Comment