Saturday, November 21, 2015

MY WTA AWARDS 2015

As the WTA Awards kicked off once again,I decided to write down and post here my own opinion about WTA Awards. In this article I will have the match of the year,the player of the year,the comeback player of the year and the most improved one. Next post will be about the sportsmanship award,the Diamond Aces and the Fan Favourite.

1.MATCH OF THE YEAR

This year,we can say it was full of amazing matches on the WTA tour. In this helped many things. Angie Kerber peaking,taking part in many great matches. Fierce antagonism after Serena and in general many old player bringing off their best and many young ones playing great.
For me match of the year is:SERENA VS VINCI US OPEN SF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_haB1NHIC
HL from Tennis Stuff on Youtube

Quality wise this wasn't the best WTA match of 2015 for sure. However, I pick it because it will be a historical match,remember as probably the biggest upset in the history of the modern women's sport at least. It will be a match that will be remembered for years and Im so glad to have watched it live on my Tv.
Serena was 2 wins away from the Calendar Slam,to be the next after Steffi to achieve it.Serena had gave everything,every inch of her body and soul, to win the other 3 slams in thrilling matches. The next 2 matches seemed as easy as ABC for her. Roberta Vinci in the semis and Flavia Pennetta in the final. Two players ranked outside of the top 25 at the time. I remember I was sooo disappointed after the 1st semi. For the quality of the match,for the fact that Simona lost and for the lack of drama. I WANTED TO WATCH DRAMA.Everyone was saying that Serena would outlast Vinci with braces.I really wanted this match to be a thriller. I still have a screenshot in my phone(at least I hope) that Im saying Roberta peak I wanna see a huge match. And Roberta heard me... Robi's game had bursted out of heaven that day. She was incredible! Serena didn't play bad but not peak. She tried whatever she could in the end but the pressure and Vinci's inspired game wont help her. Roberta would reach her 1st Grand Slam Singles Final.To be honest before the US Open started I was saying to myself imagine if Serena collapses in the Final or the Semifinal from pressure and I was right in the end.Anyway,I should say again that ok I may dislike Serena as many of you know,but this is unbiased to its very best. I should say again that Im selecting this match because it was written in history,there were at least 5 better matches in terms of quality.

2.PLAYER OF THE YEAR
For many out there this is obvious. Serena is the player of the year because she won the 3 GS and she was so near to the Calendar Slam.I have a different opinion. Not only for who should take the award and about the philosophy of the award.
Player of the year:ANGELIQUE KERBER 













Many of you now you are like "Is he drunk"? Obviously,I am not drunk or anything else. Serena won the 3 Grand Slams,finished number 1 with loads of points ahead,but achievements in the season aren't the measurement for me. In this award,I will rate the entertainment and the level of game the athletes brought in this year. Serena may have won all these but she had some really bad matches in her road to the 3 titles,especially in the French Open. Her level wasn't supreme and she didn't in fact really amaze me game-wise. Her mental strength was out of this world,but in the game she was mediocre and lets say she didn't entertain me,and I think not only me but other tennis fans as well. From the other side, I think Angie pushed herself to her limits in some matches this year. Her level of play in many of them was just out of this world. She took part in many of the highest quality matches of the year and she had us,tennis fans, in the edge of our seats.From this year,I would like the term #Kerberclassic. I know my pic may have surprised you and you may say that Im a hater and my opinion is biased,but I don't think that Serena played that good and that entertaining this year! In 2013 her level of play was 5 times better from the others and she didn't in fact flop in early rounds or being constantly under the weather. In 2013,none could deny her the award,but this year I must say again she wasn't that good quality-wise.

3.COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Another tough decision is this of the comeback player of the year. There are many interesting and great stories for the players but I liked this one.
So,Comeback player of the year for me is TIMEA BACSINSZKY

Timea's year was amazing. She won 2 WTA titles,had a 15 match winning streak,her first GS QF and SF in Wimbledon and Roland Garros as well as her first Premier Mandatory Final in Beijing. Timea was once a great player of the top 40 back in 2008-2009 but a leg injury had left her out of tennis for really long. Timi had been almost completely out of tennis working in a hotel in Switzerland.Her story however is even more amazing at the start. Timi has remarked that her father was putting her pressure and that he ruined her life after he discovered the talent in her. His way of training was really bad and harsh according to her in a level that Timi tried to convince her mother to divorce him.From the story we can infer that Timi's father surely wasn't the best father.He was looking more for the money and for the fame than what made his daughter happy. In her first professional years Timi was a good player but as she said she never felt as an athlete, as she was always in a bad physical situation and despite her accomplishments she never felt happy and enthusiastic about tennis. This year,Timi not only was physically ready for first time after many years,but she was mentally ready as well. She was for first time happy into the court and she was full with passion to try and fight for the best. And she did reach the top 10 of the world! I was really touched by Timi's story and I thing she wholeheartedly deserves this award as she was able to bounce back not only physically but mentally as well.

4.MOST IMPROVED PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Also,this award needs a lot of thought as there were in fact many players that improved a lot not only in the rankings but in their level of play as well. For this award,I will pick a player that made a bang in 2015.
WTA Most Improved Player of the Year: GARBINE MUGURUZA
As I said,many were the players that improved dramatically in 2015,but Garbi reached the top of the mountains by ending the year as the World no 3,having reached her first WTA Finals,won her first Premier Mandatory Title and made it to her first slam Final. Garbine started the year ranked 24 in the world as one of the most promising Rising stars of the 2015 season. Until the grass court season she had in fact really good results and many great wins but nothing as tremendously big as what would happen next.Grass was known to not be the Spaniards cup of tea but her game which is quite suitable to the fast courts shone in the England slam. Her big serve,her great net skills and her big groundstrokes but most of all her fierce fighting spirit led her to her first Grand Slam Final after taking out a bunch o big names such as Angie Kerber,Aga Radwanska and Caroline Woznacki. In the US Open series she seemed to have hard time to get used to her new identity of a top player,in which she seemed to have fit well after some tough summer time in Asia. In the most populated continent of the planet she was truly dominant reaching the QF in Tokyo,the Final in Wuhan,winning her first Premier Mandatory title in Beijing and finally qualifying for the WTA Finals in both singles and doubles. In the Finals she went 3-0 in her group but lost a thriller match against Aga Radwanska in the Semi-final mainly due to her lack of rest day and the doubles she played all the week. Also,she made the Final in the doubles championship. Garbine finished in the world no3,jumping in fact 21 seats in the rankings. Garbi brought her tennis play to a completely other level and she let her bombing shots finally take over the elite of the WTA. Also,during the US series she had the time to grow more mentally that resulted in making Garbi a complete player.I think that Garbi turned from just an aspiring rising star to an elite player of the WTA this year in many ways so she deserves this award.

No comments:

Post a Comment