Monday, November 30, 2015

MY WTA AWARDS (Part 2)

This will be the 2nd part of my WTA Awards for 2015!!It will feature the awards that the part 1 didn't include:WTA Newcomer of the year,Sportsmanship award,Diamond Aces Award and Fan Favourite!Hope you enjoy it and don't forget to vote for the #WTAOscars on twitter this week!! ;)

WTA NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR
This year has been full of arrivals of new WTA Stars.We saw surprise young players winning titles and upsetting the seeds!! Some names are Daria Gavrilova,Nao Hibino and Margarita Gasparyan. However,i think one of them deserves this award a lot more!
WTA NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR:Daria Gavrilova

I selected Dasha not only because she is the highest ranked,but also she is the one who had the bigger wins and has been playing in WTA tournaments for all the year. Dasha's season was really incredible!! She started with a bang beating Angelique Kerber and winning 2 consecutive ITF 50k titles. In spring,she beat Maria Sharapova in Miami while she had a fairytale run in the SFs in Rome after beating Ana Ivanovic in her way. Those victories helped her stick out from the other Newcomers and be the favourite for this award. Also,most of the other plays were playing on the ITF Circuit for a big part of 2015,whilst Dasha played only 3 high ranked iTFs in the start of the year. Dasha is surely a very capable player with a very entertaining game style and I honestly look forward to seeing her in 2016!

SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD
The sportsmanship award is undoubtably one of the toughest award categories. Every WTA player leaves a little shade or causes a little drama during the year! However,there are still players who are sportsmanship idols,like Petra Kvitova and Venus Williams. Petra have been dominating this award the past years,while Venus's come back has made her a favourite as well.I will pick:
WTA Sportsmanship Award:Venus Williams

Venus has always been a class act on and off the court. She is always smiley,calm and 'polite' in her actions and her manners. The exact opposite of her sister. Also,you will never see Venus producing unnecessary drama and as I say "crying over spilt milk". Venus,experienced as she is seems to know how to completely focus to her game letting all the other factors out of her mind and that is really important. We can say the same about Petra. I just picked Venus over her because she has had already many of these awards and Venus's comeback this year is something really inspiring. Anyway,either Petra wins in or Venus I will not be surprised. They both deserve it.


DIAMOND ACES AWARD 
I actually haven't completely understood this award. From what I have read in the WTA website it awards the players who have been advocates of the sport throughout the season and promote it on the large scale. There are many players who have been true advocates of the women's tennis and the women's sport in 2015 but I can't imagine someone else getting this award.
WTA Diamond Aces Award:Flavia Pennetta

I thing Flavia's US Open triumph and the bombshell of her retirement became a story in 2015. Flavia had a great career winning 1 Premier Mandatory Title and being a top 10 player but winning a slam and taking part to the WTA Finals was the tip of the iceberg to the Italian.Also, Flavia has been world no1 in doubles and has won the Australian Open with Dulko!! Closing, Flavs has had a great career and she will be missed to all of us and especially to her Italian(not only) fans. Personally,I will miss that shot of pure class,her Backhand down the line.



FAN FAVOURITE AWARD
This is actually my favourite WTA Award!! Aga,my fav,have been the story of it the past years and me(and all the other members of the #Agafam) are really proud of it!! I honestly hope that Aga can win this one as well and I will do my best to help her win it!However,they are as well many other players who are loved by their fans so I project it to be a derby! My pick is the following!
FAN FAVOURITE AWARD:Simona Halep

Honestly now has there been a match of this girl this year where there wasn't a team of Romanian fans shouting SI-MO-NA, SI-MO-NA. The support that this girl takes from her co-patriots is immense and it is unbelievable how she has been the most popular WTA player twice in a row. I remember reading the Power To Inspire this year and I was like "OMG This support...She will certainly be flag-bearer in the Olympics!" People in Romania really live for Simona and I believe that even if she does not have the same support in world-wide scale I think that the passion of this fans is enough for her to overcome the big names of the award-Maria Sharapova and Aga Radwanska.

P.S. Photos are from Getty

No comments:

Post a Comment